Alice Chen Smith is the Managing Partner of Yoka | Smith and is an experienced litigator who has successfully tried many cases to verdict. Her primary focus is litigating catastrophic personal injury cases, products liability and business litigation matters. She practices throughout the State of California, including Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, Santa Barbara, San Diego, San Francisco, Alameda, San Mateo, Fresno, and Santa Clara Counties in trial and appellate courts. Her great results and dedication to her clients has led to her selection as a Super Lawyers – Southern California Rising Star since 2012 and a Super Lawyer since 2022.
Alice was inducted into the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) as a member of the Los Angeles Chapter in 2019, and was appointed as an Executive Committee Member in 2022. She is an elected member of the Board of Director for Los Angeles County for Association of Southern California Defense Counsel (ASCDC). She has served on the Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA) President's Advisory Committee on Women in the Legal Profession since 2018. Alice is also a Board Member with the Association of Business Trial Lawyers (ABTL), and has served as the Lunch Program Co-Chair and current Dinner Program Co-Chair.
Alice obtained her Bachelor of Arts degree in International Studies from the University of Chicago and her Juris Doctor degree from Loyola Law School.
Areas of Practice
- Product Liability
- Premises Liability
- Business Litigation
- Civil Litigation
Awards & Recognition
- Super Lawyer, 2022-2023
Alice Chen Smith has just been included in the list of very impressive women determined to be Women of Influence: Attorneys by the Los Angeles Business Journal.
The Los Angeles Business Journal received hundreds of nominations from which their publisher determined who was worthy of this honor. To be included speaks volumes for Alice and the firm. The list, including Alice, will be published on April 18th by the Los Angeles Business Journal.
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2012-2020
- Walter M. Yoka, Christopher E. Faenza, Alice Chen Smith and Lauren A.R. Lofton Recognized by Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America
Walter Yoka, Christopher Faenza, Alice Chen Smith and Lauren A.R. Lofton are among the all-star litigators selected for the the inaugural guide to the Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America.
The guide is dedicated to those attorneys who excel representing principally corporations and other organizations in litigating claims involving Antitrust, Securities, Financial, M&A, Intellectual Property and Patents, Product Liability, Mass Tort, White Collar, Government Investigations and Energy disputes.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel (ASCDC), Elected Board Member for Los Angeles County
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers (ABTL) Board Member
- Southern California Chinese Lawyers Association (SCCLA), Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Walter M. Yoka, Christopher E. Faenza and Alice Chen Smith selected as 2023 Southern California Super Lawyers01.12.2023
- Alice Chen Smith selected by The Los Angeles Business Journal as a 2023 Leaders of Influence: Minority Attorneys01.11.2023
- Alice Smith obtains summary judgment on behalf of their fitness club client.05.28.2021
- Alice Smith, William Choi and Lauren Lofton produce a winning Motion for Summary Judgement in a slip and fall case.02.25.2021
- Alice Chen Smith and Lauren Lofton Participate in the LASC Young Women’s Leadership Conference to Mentor Los Angeles Area Students03.14.2019
- Alice Chen Smith Selected as one of Top Women Attorneys of Southern California; Los Angeles Magazine and Super Lawyers05.17.2018
- California State Bar
Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, California
- J.D. - 2007
University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
- B.A. - 2002
- Major: International Studies
- Mandarin Chinese