Alice Chen Smith is an experienced litigation attorney who has successfully tried many cases to verdict. Her primary focus is litigating catastrophic personal injury cases and business litigation matters. She practices throughout the State of California, including Los Angeles County, Orange County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County, Santa Barbara County, San Diego County, San Francisco County, Alameda County, San Mateo County, and Santa Clara County in trial and appellate courts. Her great results and dedication to her clients has led to her selection as a Super Lawyers – Southern California Rising Star since 2012.
Alice was inducted into the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) as a member of the Los Angeles Chapter in 2019. She is an elected member of the Board of Director for Los Angeles County for ASCDC. She has served on the Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA) President's Advisory Committee on Women in the Legal Profession since 2018. Alice is also a Board Member with the Association of Business Trial Lawyers (ABTL).
Alice obtained her Bachelor of Arts degree in International Studies from the University of Chicago and her Juris Doctor degree from Loyola Law School.
Areas of Practice
- Products Liability
- Premises Liability
- Business Litigation
- Civil Litigation
Awards & Recognition
- Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2012-2019
- Alice Chen Smith and Chad Chen Have Been Selected as a Super Lawyers Southern California Rising Stars for 2020
- Alice Chen Smith admitted to the American Board of Trial Advocates
The American Board of Trial Advocates is a national association of experienced trial lawyers and judges dedicated to the preservation and promotion of the civil jury trial right provided by the Seventh Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. First and foremost, ABOTA works to uphold the jury system by educating the American public about the history and value of the right to trial by jury.
Membership requirements are rigorous; admittance is a great achievement and honor.
- Alice Chen Smith Has Been Selected as a Super Lawyers Southern California Rising Star for 2019
- Alice Chen Smith appointed to the Los Angeles County Bar Association President's Advisory Committee on Women in the Legal Profession
Alice Chen Smith was recently appointed to the LACBA President's Advisory Committee on Women in the Legal Profession, and will serve on a committee of highly accomplished professionals, law professors and judicial officers. She will be working with the Women Litigators/Change in the Court and Law School Outreach sub-committees, whose mission is to promote diversity in the legal profession and provide law students throughout Los Angeles with support and guidance from women in various fields of practice.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel (ASCDC), Elected Board Member for Los Angeles County
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers (ABTL) Boar Member
- Southern California Chinese Lawyers Association (SCCLA), Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Pro Bono Activities
- Alliance for Children's Rights, 2009 - 2010
- Alice Smith obtains summary judgment on behalf of their fitness club client.05.28.2021
- Alice Smith, William Choi and Lauren Lofton produce a winning Motion for Summary Judgement in a slip and fall case.02.25.2021
- Alice Chen Smith and Lauren Lofton Participate in the LASC Young Women’s Leadership Conference to Mentor Los Angeles Area Students03.14.2019
- Alice Chen Smith Selected as one of Top Women Attorneys of Southern California; Los Angeles Magazine and Super Lawyers05.17.2018
- California State Bar
Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, California
- J.D. - 2007
University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
- B.A. - 2002
- Major: International Studies
- Mandarin Chinese